Monday 22 February 2010

Reality Check for Fashion Week

As usual, one of the hot topics that springs to mind during Fashion Week is that of what are generically referred to as 'real' size models and the obsession with thin. In today's issue of the Daily Mail, there was an article by Lucy Ballinger about the designer Mark Fast and his use of several normal sized women to model his collection, including British model Hayley Moriey. It is refreshing to see a designer who will consciously, and confidently, use women of all sizes to model in their show and not just follow the heard and use the traditional thin crowd of models. Although I don't think that thinner models should be discriminated against either, to have the wide variety of shapes and sizes that the female body comes in represented on the catwalk is inspiring - especially in a far more positive way than only using skinny models.

Speaking as an average size ten (who luckily has the metabolism that digests all the crap I eat without needing to go to the gym), even I have had a few problems with my weight during my adolescence and I'm not even overweight. I am a healthy human being, but I never looked at myself that way whilst flicking through the pages of magazines, or watching the various modelling shows on telly filled with tiny women of half my weight. It doesn't set a good body image for young girls, and instead pushes them too hard to be something they're not. Yes, fashion may look good on the ultra skinny, but some of it can equally look disturbing when all you can see is portruding bones and angles.

Therefore, I can only conclude that fashion is what you make it, and if you're a good fashion designer, then your clothes should look good on everyone. And if that's the case, why isn't everyone represented on the catwalk?

No comments:

Post a Comment