Thursday 18 February 2010

Kids today...

Hey, I haven't written on here in a while because I've been away to somewhere with more or less no internet access and no internet cafes - yes, it was rather remote.

Anyway, moving on to bigger, but not necessarily brighter, things. I've read a few articles recently (in Grazia, The Evening Standard and was it maybe Glamour?) about young girls and the over exposure to overtly sexual clothing and makeup, with one particular example popping up in all of them - Miley Cyrus' little sister. Honestly, when I read the first one I can't say I was overly bothered. I mean, what little girl doesn't like dressing up and playing with makeup? But after reading a few articles on the subject, and then witnessing a really bad case of the overly sexual ten year olds in real life, the message hit home. What the hell are little girls doing wearing a face full of almost perfectly applied make up and clothes that I (an 18 year old woman) would wear to a club? Hello, are they looking for sleazy old men to check them out? I don't think so somehow.

Although several of the articles placed a lot of blame on the fashion industry for the influx of sexuality in children's clothing, I don't think all the heat should be applied in that direction. A big chunk of the blame should also be thrown at mothers who let their children out of the house looking like eight year old hookers. I really don't understand what must possess a mother to buy tiny skirts and sexy over-the-knee socks for their children, because surely most ten year olds don't have enough money to go out any buy those clothes for themselves?

Now, I don't have any children, but I have several young cousins all of whom I love to pieces, and I would be so shocked if I saw them go out dressed how some children are. Why can't we just keep the innocence of youth and dress little girls in cute flowery tea dresses and cardigans the way it was meant to be, instead of letting them roam the streets looking like minature twenty year olds out on the pull.

Sorry this is such a long post, but I thought I'd like to have a little rant.

No comments:

Post a Comment